A Visit to Apollo: through my brother's lens

Last month, my brother, Atilola Olubela, underwent his first excursion to Apollo, Makoko, Lagos and has this to share:
March 3, 2013 was a remarkable day that called for deeper reflection, I had no wedding and event to cover and decided to be a part of "The Silent Majority Project" exhibition by one of Nigeria's finest documentary photographer, Mr Adolphus Opara, organised by Goethe-Institut Lagos. This became my first visit to the acclaimed and highly Makoko, sort by both local and international artists. I have always seen Makoko in paintings, photographs and the regular panoramic view from the third-main land bridge, I had always wondered what world would be out there. The closest experience I ever had to this visit was the BBC documentary "Welcome To Lagos", which was a heart-wrenching one ... hmmm! The Ojota episode was also touching. Seriously, my heart has always skipped since this experience. Makoko, a world contrast of Venice, a crude cosmopolitan and a reclaimed city whose foundation is a composite of waste in all forms. This a glimpse through my lens during the short visit. Painful, I was unable to take pictures of the interior settlements.


















Comments

  1. Your brother is so talented! wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm sure he will be happy to see your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. stunning. I'm not sure what it is about Makoko that makes black and white photography the best expression medium.... but it's always stunning in black and white

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Naijawife,
    Makoko has a ruby in the dirt beauty to it. And by stripping colors, you reduce the distractions the viewer might be presented with and just offer the heart of the piece instead.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Love-Fest with TV II

The Diary of a 9ja girl in Yankee

A very heartbreaking season finale -- Rizzoli and Isles