Why I Speak

"Not My Business" by Niyi Osundare                             "And they came for me" by Pastor Martin Niemoller
They picked Akanni up one morning                              When the Nazis came for the communists,
Beat him soft like clay                                                   I remained silent;
And stuffed him down the belly                                      I was not a communist.
Of a waiting jeep.

What business of mine is it                                            When they locked up the social democrats,
So long they don’t take the yam                                      I remained silent;
From my savouring mouth?                                            I was not a social democrat.

They came one night                                                     When they locked up the trade unionists,
Booted the whole house awake                                       I did not speak out;
And dragged Danladi out,                                               I was not a trade unionist.
Then off to a lengthy absence.

What business of mine is it                                             When they locked up the Jews,
So long they don’t take the yam                                       I remained silent;
From my savouring mouth?                                             I was not a Jew.

Chinwe went to work one day                                          When they came for me,
Only to find her job was gone:                                         there was no one left to speak out.
No query, no warning, no probe -
Just one neat sack for a stainless record.

What business of mine is it
So long they don’t take the yam
From my savouring mouth?

And then one evening
As I sat down to eat my yam
A knock on the door froze my hungry hand.


The jeep was waiting on my bewildered lawn
Waiting, waiting in its usual silence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Love-Fest with TV II

The Diary of a 9ja girl in Yankee

A very heartbreaking season finale -- Rizzoli and Isles