Review of The Piano by Jane Campion


The Piano by Jane Campion is a movie about a mute Ada McGrath who, alongside her young daughter and her prized piano, travels to the 1850s New Zealand, where her arranged wealthy landowner husband lives. There, a local worker on the plantation lusts after her. The worker painstakingly takes advantage of her love/obsession for her piano. She is defenseless against the situation, and falls in love with him.

The movie has a disturbing and violent feel to it, even though there are no violent scenes. Perhaps this effect can be viewed as a reflection of Campion's talent. Unfortunately, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me negatively disposed to the movie. I honestly do not understand the message Campion tries to convey with the movie. Maybe it is just me, but I had hoped that the ending would be different. I had hoped that Ada McGrath, the protagonist, would stand up to George Baines, her sexual tormentor. I know that there is a great chance of a woman falling in love with the man she sleeps with. However, when the idea that the man, especially a friend of her husband, blackmails her into sleeping with him is added into the quo, the conclusion should have been a little different.

Maybe the film should be taken at face value and not be assigned feminist values. However, since the writer/director is female, the attachment of such sentiments is natural.

George Baines, the antagonist, forces Ada McGrath to sleep with him. Baines might not have literately forcefully raped her, but he figuratively rapes her. He gives her an ultimatum that he knows will affect her later. He, in a way, dominates her and confines her to a life of regret and oppression. One would have hoped that McGrath stands up to her oppressor at the end of the movie, instead of eloping with him and losing her beloved piano in the journey. McGrath does not become the heroine that people might root for. She conforms to the norm.

Another disturbing scene, and one that I am biased about, is when Alistair Stewart, Ada’s husband, chops off one of her fingers. Stewart finds out about the “affair” between McGrath and George by walking on them making love. He watches his wife and his supposed friend make love, goes home and tries to make love to his wife. But, she doesn’t give in and this causes a rage from him. He questions her about whether she loved George. But, Ada refuses to talk. This incites Stewart to pick up an axe, chase her to the woods and cut off one of her finger. Ironically, this incident does not incite a feeling of fear or hatred of Stewart in me, it only heightens the pity I feel for him. I believe this is the only time I could condone the oppressive violence in the movie, because it was the action of a brokenhearted man.

My acceptance of this incident makes me more agitated about the movie. It is one I would not want my daughter or anyone to watch, and it is definitely not one I recommend. Personally, I think the movie is a good cinematography gone to waste, all thanks to its plot. If the ending were different, perhaps my impression would have been different. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Love-Fest with TV II

The Diary of a 9ja girl in Yankee

Grey's Anatomy's Finale, Calzona, The Cheating, The Fallout, My Interpretation