#Arrow's Nyssa al Ghul: Beloved League of Assassin

Hell hath no fury than an assassin scorned ...

So, I returned to watching Arrow this week. I had stopped at this season's first episode and worked my way up. Love seeing Black Canary and realizing she's Sara Lance. Love that she's Oliver's equal. They both have the same story line, the shipwreck sent them into arms of people who taught them to fight and both have seen enough deaths. Hence they're both strong and damaged.

But greater discovery was this week's episode where the show reveals Nyssa al Ghul. I love love her.
The first scene we see her in, I never have cheered on a villain as much as I did after seeing her pick up the pen. I knew what was coming and I pushed myself into the moment, without a care.


Like darn it, that deserves rewinding. Let not get into the fact that Katrina Law did her own stunts herself. Let just bath in the glory that is that scene. And then she dusts her hand and drags her luggage. Thanks be to the gods.

Then she appears as this.


Wielding a bow like this 
and I was lost in appreciation. Better shown by showing this clip of Nyssa and Arrow fighting. 


What I love

1. That Arrow writers used Nyssa instead of Talia, Ra’s al Ghul's more famous daughter from the Batman fame. It's perfect as the writers could craft their own version of her without having to battle against comic comparison. And it offered them the leeway to tell her story this way. I won't spoil the show as I did enjoy the story and appreciate it because I have no inclination that it could come. I think we all deserve to experience her story line without previous knowledge.

2. I love they didn't try to goodinize her villain attributes because she's a woman. Yes, we do get to see a humanizing moment when she deals with Sara choosing to die for her family rather than return to the League of Assassins and continuing her killing spree. But, the woman had no qualms poisoning Sara's sister or Sara's mum. Ok, enough plot.

3. Love her dress. Love the hint of wine in her outfit, quite unlike Malcolm Merlyn and other League of Assassin's all black attire. Love that she uses a veil to cover her nose and mouth. She embraces her femininity.

Note: somehow, my thoughts ran away and left me with blankness. I will cap this blog by saying I'm glad Nyssa al Ghul will be back on #Arrow. Darn it, the woman can fight. Like, what, I'm loving it. She's like an assassin boss. I'm loving that TV now is showing women who can fight, kill, are villains that we don't have to explain why they are bad. They're just pure bad! And Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D's Melinda May deserves a mention too! And this GIF below, well just because.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Love-Fest with TV II

The Diary of a 9ja girl in Yankee

A very heartbreaking season finale -- Rizzoli and Isles