Why Do We Keep Asking For Apologies?


The idea that people have to apologize for who they are to me is one of the stupid things we do as humans. Majorly, because, minority groups often believe they shouldn't apologize for who they are but expect the majority group to apologize. This scenario fascinates me, as it's one I see in every freedom movement. But the three major movements that show it the most are race, gender and sexuality.

Let's tackle each issue.



Race:
every case involving a black person ends up with a race card. Now, before I go further, and alienate certain people with my unbiased observation, let me say that racism exists and is alive. But, not everything that happens between a white person and a black person is done out of racist fear. Often, we get clouded by racism, we refuse to see beyond to the matter at hand. Perhaps, a faulty legal system or a capitalistic system. You might read the last sentence and think "aren't those systems naturally racist?" No, these systems naturally are out there to gut you. I could go and give examples, but I have got to get to work in a few. But, often when I have this conversation, I'm told I'm privileged. Which confuses me because I'm black. You know the funny thing, if I were white, some folks only will conclude I think this way because I'm white, proving my point. Black folks are the biggest race offender. Racism isn't black race discrimination, it's race discrimination full stop.

Gender: most people, from patriarchal males, to non-feminist accepting humans, to feminist individuals, often forget what feminism means. It simply means providing women with the ample opportunity to make a choice and not be crucified for it. As a feminist, every time I see another "can a feminist wear lipstick, high heels etc" article, I really want to bite the dust. Or, anytime, I see women pull each other down for whatever choice they make between the choice spectrum, my head pounds. Even worse is the continuing conversation about who is feminist enough. Are you kidding me? Stop pulling women down because they chose role different from you, e.g housewife. It doesn't make them less enlightening or less emancipated than you. Respect each other's choice. Being able to make a bloody choice is why feminism exists.

Sexuality: oh, I so can go into this. The strife within the LGBT community is one I can't understand. You would think a group that is so persecuted would be united together. But, rather lesbians discriminate on who's lesbian enough. Bisexual are persecuted because of their privilege - a word I hate - of being able to navigate both worlds. But more, for being able to appear normal. As if normal makes sense. Transexual only just recently are breaking the mode and telling their stories. Ask a trans and you probably hear that the discriminating from the LGBT community hurts more than from the rest of the world. And let's get into the vile against straight people. Some people are jackasses and ignorant, yes. But, the assumption that everyone needs to accept and be a certain way is child's play. Each time I read comment section of an article that deals with sexuality, it's often a case of "missed opportunity to educate" as the thread degenerates into who calls each other out the loudest.

Now all these three movements' progression is a case of 'you pushed me far into the wall, I bounced back with the greater force towards you.' I understand this but can't help but wonder about that tactic's efficiency.

Surely, there's a way to get equality and recognition without transferring every bad thing experienced to the next person on the other side. Even more fascinating is how much we cry wolf. So, much so, it diminishes the very movement we're part of.

But, this issue is so much deeper, and my thoughts longer but I have to head out to work in a few. So, here's my pensive thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Love-Fest with TV II

The Diary of a 9ja girl in Yankee

A very heartbreaking season finale -- Rizzoli and Isles