A chapter in my book turned script

Chapter Seven
"I now pronounce you man and wife."

The guests erupt into applause as the groom lifts Georgina’s veil and dips his head and bends her over his arm to kiss her. Her silk gown sparkling with the five thousand crystals, hand-stitched across the delicate fabric.

The kiss ends and the couple turns to face the congregation. Stella’s breath catches in her throat at the expression on Georgina’s face. She is so happy, so deeply in love. It strikes Stella that while St. Stephan Cathedral glows with candlelight and glittering guests, none shines more brightly than Georgina herself. The light in Georgina’s eyes alone makes her heart ache. Stella’s heart turns over as music swelled, filling the grand Gothic cathedral, as the beaming bride and groom walks down the aisle. Georgina has found her match. She has found her mate.

Weddings always moved her. But this one, this is exceptional. Georgina had been hurt so badly three years ago when her fiancĂ© left her at the altar. Georgina had sworn off men, love, relationship and marriage. But after a long while she’d found him. Michael is exactly what Georgina needed most: strong, independent, handsome, brilliant, but kind, very kind. A strong yet tender man to love her. Forever. Forever. The lump in Stella’s throat grows and spreads, pressing hot and heavy on her chest. And behind her eyes, stung brilliant unshed tears. To be loved forever. To love forever. To be so blessed.

Stella glances at Chantal. She is grateful that through all she had gone through, she has a wonderful daughter who God knows keeps her sane most of the time. She then flashes back to the day she met Darlington.


(many years ago)
She was wondering if it had not been a mistake to have come for the party. But Angela and Georgina had persuaded her to come. Feeling out of place, she wished she had given in to Rita’s request to come along also.
“Hey, hi.”
She snapped out of her thought and noticed a burly guy besides her. “Hi,” she said.
“Would you care to dance?” the guy said.
“I am sorry, I don’t dance with strangers.”
Chuckling “my name is Iyke and I am pleased to meet you. So would you dance with me?” Iyke said.
“Mmmmhhhh,” she looked around and wondered if she should say yes.
“ I see you met Iyke,” Georgina walked up to them.
“Yeah, but I still don’t know her name,” Iyke said.
“ Oh Stella is a shy bird. Anyway Stella meet my Iyke; Iyke meet Stella.”
“So now that I am no longer a stranger, would you dance with me?” Iyke said
“I don’t think so, because I want to dance with you myself.” Georgina pulled him to the dance floor and danced seductively with him.

On seeing them, Stella shook her head. The mixture of sweat and cigarettes were already getting to her. She stepped outside to the balcony. The blow of fresh air hit her and she sighed. She wondered how she would survive the night. And didn't realize that she was not alone any longer till she heard.

“It a wonderful night, isn’t it.” She turned and saw a shadow silhouetted at her right. He was standing far from her. She couldn’t see his face properly.
“Yeah I guess so,” she replied.
“Explain better,” he said.
“Excuse me.”
“Your words say one thing but your tone another. Clarify what you mean.” He said. She was surprised. How can he deduce so fast? “It a nice night. The sky is filled with stars and is moonless. I guess it's romantic.” she said.
“But-” he said
“But I am tired, wish I were home.” She said.
“I see.” She wondered what if he saw indeed or was just making a comment.
“My name is Darlington.” She shivered. He was so close now. She didn’t know when he had walked across to her. It was like magic.
“Are you alright, I hope you are not feeling cold.”
“No I am not,” she said.
“So what is your name.” he said.
“Stella,” she said.

“Nice meeting you Stella.” He pushed out his right hand and she shook it. She was surprised by the tingling sensation she felt, starting in her palm. It seemed to be spreading quickly to the rest of her of body. She removed her hand and placed it by her side, rubbing it continuously on her dress. Looking back now, it was surprising how easy they had talked. They talked the whole night till the early morning. She could not remember all they said. Only how easy it had been to talk to him.


(Present)
“Mummy are you okay.”
She immediately snaps out of her reverie.
“Are you alright?" Chantal says. "You look far away. You were thinking about him again ma, weren't you?”
“I guess so. The wedding atmosphere probably brought it on.”
“I wish you would just forget him.”
“How could I ever forget him?”
“It's not healthy you know," Chantal says. "You need to move on after all those long years. Anyways grandma is wondering what's up. Are you not going to get what you want?”

They walk to the food table to get what to eat. They pile their plate with food and they both go back to sit.
“What took so long,” Mrs. Silver (Stella's mother) asks.
“Well, my mother couldn’t decide what she wanted on time,” Chantel chips in.
Mrs. Silver smiles and says “she does take her time and picks the best, this daughter of mine.”

Stella looks at the couple and smiles. Georgina smiles back. It amazes her how some relationships last even when there is distance between the participants. They had promised many years back that they would be tight friends till the end. She is glad that they were able to carry out that promise, despite the fact that she had been away in the state for long, pregnant and widowed at a young age. Still, their friendship stood the test of trial and is strong. She looks to her right side and sees someone leaving. Her breath catches, it can't be him? Can it? But she couldn’t say. The object of her interest walks out the door. Without facing him, she couldn't be sure. She shakes her head. God what is wrong with her. She stands up and goes outside. She hopes to catch whoever it is in order to satisfy her curiosity. She steps outside but whoever she had followed has already disappeared. She shakes her head and mutters “are you alright Stella, don’t go ballistic on me.” She walks inside, Chantal looks up and projects are you alright?

She nods her head, sits, but wonders if she actually is alright. It been a long time since she has been to a wedding. she had forgotten how it feels.

Before long it was time to leave. They all stood up, went to offer congratulation message to the bride and groom. Her father slips a bulky envelope to the bride which she immediately passes to money collector besides her. After all the wishes has been said, they moved to the bride's parents, Once again, an envelope passes hands. But this time, it is less bulkier than the bride's own.

Their parents hug and kiss themselves. They are then invited by the bride’s parents for diner the next day. They all walk to three cars parked beside themselves. Mr. and Mrs. Silver get into one. Chantal and her mother into another, while Rita and her husband get into another.

“Wow, that was fun,” Stella quips.“Did you see the person you wanted to see?”
“uh,” Stella replies.
“The reason why you went outside in a hurry.”
“What,” Stella says
“I guess you didn’t think I noticed. So did you meet the person?”
“No, he was already gone before I stepped outside.”
“He?” with excitement on her tone, Chantal says.
“uh uh,” Stella intones.
“Okay, I rest my case but I am curious though,” Chantal says.
“There is nothing to be curious about. I saw someone who resembled someone I once knew before. So I went to investigate. I didn’t see the person so I don’t know if he is the one.”
“Okay, Anyway Georgina was very beautiful.”
“Yeah, her bridal beauty was shinning like the sun. I am happy for her.”
“So, when are you going to start dating again.”
“Excuse me, young lady.”
“ When. Are. You. Going. To. Start. Dating. Again.”
Stella stares at Chantal. She wonders how to answer her very jumpy daughter.
“As in, when are you and a guy getting together for dinner or something,” Chantal continues.
“I heard the first time. I just wondered what brought it all up.” Stella says.
“Nothing,” Chantal says
“Nothing?”
“Well, I want you happy.”
“And what makes you think I am not happy?”
“You don’t fool me you know. Anyway which woman doesn’t want companionship and all.”
“I am alright. I have you. I have my family. What more can I ask for?”
“You know, you could make the effort to know someone and vice versa”
“I am perfectly fine the way I am.”
“I am not deterred easily, you know.”
“So what?”
“We still gonna have this conversation again. So I guess you can change the topic”
Stella laughs and replies, “so, what do want to talk about.”
“I don’t know.”
“I don’t know either,”
“Gosh! So how were you planning to change the topic?” Chantal says
“What made you think I was going to change the topic,” Stella says
“It was obvious.”
Eh ehn.”
“Whatever”


(This, in the entirety of my life, is the first story I had ever written. It is also the first novel I am turning to a script. I am presently writing its treatment. I got to this part and decided to share. I must confess, I have definitely come far as a writer. I look as this unfinished (yah) book of mine and I smile. This is one chapter in the book. Hopefully, soon you would see the end result. Got to get back to my writing. Hope you enjoyed my virgin writing (haha *smiles*.)

Comments

  1. for starters, thats a good one. im impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I loved the Chantel character, nice way to lose ur writing virginity, :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this is your virgin writing like you called it,then its very obvious that ur gonna be a very great writer...Great choice of words,wanting the reader to just keep on reading... It felt like i was watching a movie... The characters came to life&it takes a reli good script to achieve that... Proud of ya... U obviously ve yet another FAN...

    ReplyDelete
  4. thumbs up. kit it up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Love-Fest with TV II

The Diary of a 9ja girl in Yankee

A very heartbreaking season finale -- Rizzoli and Isles