Ghollywood Review: Adams Apple(Chapter 2)


      I had always prayed for a Nollywood series which I think would complement perfectly well with our ongoing soap operas fascination. But I swear, I did not envision the way Shirley Frimpong has embarked on. She terms it "a 10 chapter cinema movie series." As of now, you probably have an issue to take up with either me or Shirley. With me because I would be reviewing chapter 2 out of 10. And with Shirley because of the 10 chapter issue. But since, I refuse to re-watch chapter one over again, I really can't write about it.
      Down to business, the cast includes Yvonne Okoro, Jocelyn Dumas, Naa Ashorkor Mensah-Doku, Anima Misa Amoah, Adjetey Anang, John Dumelo, KSM, KOD, Benny Fiifi Ashun, Fiifi Coleman, etc which is impressive I must say. I must also point out that I might be a little biased, thanks to this wonderful review of part 1  http://www.modernghana.com/columnmovie/11418/3/adams-apple-the-hype-does-not-match-the-work.html
Chapter two starts with a very long and slow montage (pun intended) scenes of "and this is what you missed on..." After the pinkish poster, we are shown our first character, Mrs Adams, looking through the window. The shot is taken from a viewer's frame and we see her looking out. I immediately thought, what if the POV was her's? What if we saw the window through her eyes instead of the viewer's? That would immediately draw the viewer into investing more into the movie. Then, it isn't her watching, but her participating. Then the camera can zoom from Mrs. Adams' POV into a more general one. But for that minute seconds, the viewer shares that moment with Mrs Adams, instead of being locked, thanks to the window pane.
       The next action makes me believe that "Ghollywood has certainly perfected the art of funny heartfelt prayers." The next scene reminds of Agungun festival, which throws me off because I don't know what fishing has to do with the movie. Honestly, lets skip the office scene. Then, we see our kiss in the movie. I must say it is not bad. They could work on it but it wasn't sloppy. (Honestly why did I write this part?) But since it is a Ghanaian movie, there is bound to be a lot of mushy mushy scenes like that. And it is played out to fullest, although thankfully there was no nekkid Majid bum shown.
       The cinematography ain't bad, I particularly like the blurring of the background when John Dumelo was talking with the model. This artistically places the viewer's optical focus on the them, even though we realize that Kukua and a fellow co-worker are in the back. It is very astutely done. The storyline isn't bad, except it is unnecessarily stretched. And there are certain scenes that work just fine, for example when Babaa is talking with Mrs. Adams.
       This cinema-movie series might not be the purrfect series I might have in mind, and just maybe waiting for the next installment might annoy me, but it definitely has tact and taste. Shirley Frimpong is the first director, so far, to have gotten a hang of product placement. She weaves some product tastefully into the story-line. Although, the MTN advert at the beginning might make you want to gag her. She also put together a host of "not so bad" actors, showcases kente products and puts much attention to setting. Although a critic said that the attention to setting throws it over the edge and reinforces the fact that it is a movie, I strongly disagree. The movie isn't behd at all.

Comments

  1. If you are still pondering and wdondering and need something to sway ur mind, then check this review http://www.circumspecte.com/2011/04/film-reviewalert-adams-apples-shirley.html too

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Love-Fest with TV II

The Diary of a 9ja girl in Yankee

A very heartbreaking season finale -- Rizzoli and Isles