How Nollywood needs to improve

Yes, I was motivated to write this post by the notjustok.com's one, although I have been dragging this article for a few days now. Alright, a week.

There are three things/media I can say that I am knowledgeable about, because I have been exposed to them since childhood. They are music, books and TV. And for as long as I can think of, I have been fascinated with the world of make-believe. I grew up watching too much TV perhaps, and was the one who would go to an home-video club and rent Nigerian home videos. So trust me, I am not crapping out or diminishing Nollywood, just stating facts.


1. We produce home videos instead of movies: I have always wondered why we call our films "home videos," but it would be gross injustice to tag them movies. Now I know that it is just a tag, but names define a brand. Nigerian movies are technically created for "sitting at home and relaxing" kind of environment and not the "let's go to the theater" kind of environment. People love to have a valid reason to "go out" or "hang out with friends," and sitting at home in front of a TV isn't the ideal image.

2. Our story-lines aren't always original: Foreigners would not want to go watch a story from an African country that Hollywood has feed them over the years. It has to be something different than the colorful, foreign land and culture. Besides our different taste in dressing, slight accent and jazz/juju, what have we got to offer?

3. Nothing of note ever happens in the first 20 minutes besides introducing us to all the characters: Audience do not need this. We can be introduced to each character as the story progresses and there is need to "meet" them. But Nollywood has perfected the act of 5 minutes of car passing-by in a blurry manner- how does that further the plot? If you can't convince a viewer that the movie is worth his/her time, then you've lost them. We don't have time to wait till 40 minutes to find out that Nneka's father is dead, kill him in the first 5 scenes.

4. We have perfected the act of dragging a movie unnecessarily: This of course ties in with no 3. I understand the fact that a producer has to be remunerated and would want to cash in on all possible opportunities. But having a 4 or 6 parts movie for a story that can be told in 1 part is totally rubbish. In fact, it is arrant nonsense. Even as a Nigerian, I have perfected the act of never taking my hands of the forward button while watching a Nollywood movie. So, please tell me why someone else would want to. Time is money, and honestly no one has the time to waste on a 4 to 6 hour movie except if it is a Bollywood movie that borders on 3 hours. Even that, they infuse dance and song in their movie hereby presenting something different from the norm.

5. We shy away from violence and sex and when we do, it sucks even more: To this I would say, can we scrap sex scene until we know how to show them without grossing out the viewers. And we really do not need to do this, it is just one more point.

6. Screenwriting is an art and not a by the roadside job: Little wonder nothing comes up when you search for Nigerian top screenwriters. We need to start amending things from this point. It is appalling to hear people churning out screenplays in days. Damn, really. We need to grasp the professional technique of screenwriting so that it can stand a chance of being picked up by a studio. Am I saying, we need foreign nods/acceptance? Yes and No. Learning to write well helps you more than it helps or benefit others.

7. Directing isn't a joke, having professional equipment doesn't make you a professional: need I talk more about this. I am tired of seeing amateur jobs that clearly points out the directing technique. Learning simple directing techniques and actually carrying them out would go a long way in making our movies better.

8. We don't spend enough time in pre and post production: In fact the entire production process, from pre to post is a joke. It is only in 9ja that you would see a movie go through the entire process in 3 months. Like seriously, are you freaking kidding me. Pre and Post production is more important the production itself as it determines what the production would be. It is also at this stage that we can incorporate product placement thereby solving the dilemma of having a part 1- infinity movie.

9. We need Nigerian movie critics: if we have one, then I have no idea about his/her existence. And please, I am not talking about Nollywood blogs, I am talking A.O. Scott's league. People that would carefully dissect a movie and weigh it. We need those in Nollywood if we want the industry to grow. Criticism helps arts and literature.

10: We only produce just one kind of genre; drama.

Although there are more reasons, these are the few I came up with before my brain ceased on me. Gotta to run now, books calling.

P. S. I changed the title because some people were getting the reason and core of my post wrong. I had earlier used that title because I had been influenced by the notjustok's article and I am a firm believer in attribution.

Comments

  1. Good job, nice article..you made some good points.. I think overall, Nigerian movies are not high quality enough to appeal to the majority of Non-African North Americans although I do know a handful of non-nigerians who enjoy nollywood movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need we say more... Nigerian movies r so weak... Ow can u tell the end of a movie from the 1st 20mins.... U killed this article dear... Very nice 1.... #thumbs up

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made some very good points about the movie industry. The production and story lines have been a bit lackluster. We do have something but Nollywood has reached the point of refinement.

    However for some of the same negative points I think they are also the reasons why Nollywood has been so successful. Our biggest issue is combating piracy. I saw Nigerian movies on sale at a 7-11 convenience store. I think that says a little something.

    In my opinion not everything must and should become mainstream in America. Once it does you will not be satisfied. We aren't even satisfied with our mainstream stuff. Nigerian entertainment is a niche market to us but in Africa its mainstream. So it all depends on how you look at things. I have many Caribbean and American friends who love Nigerian movies for all the quirks about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Toyin, I agree that not everything must become mainstream in America. In fact,I presented a broader picture of our current dilemma and said that doing things right helps you more than it helps or benefit others. Nollywood needs to brush up a lot of things, whether or not we intend to export our talents. We just need to brush things up for ourselves as Nigerians. Majority of people I know living in Nigeria refuse to watch Nigerian movie because "it decrees one's IQ." Of course that is always said in a joking manner but the point remains the same, we need to do somethings differently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can you be criticizing an industry when your english clearly needs to improve?! Hypocrisy! Remove the spec from your eye before speaking of another. Look at your title alone 'How Nigerian movies NEEDS to improve' ....na wa for Gbagaun o! For this reason alone, I chose not to read *rolls eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anon 3:08 AM, you do seem like someone who believes that criticism = hating. My post might have grammatical errors in it, I wouldn't deny, but that doesn't remove the gist of the writing. I critique the industry because I see myself as being part of it and I want to see it get better. I am not afraid to stand by my views. Thanks for taking the time to check my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Love-Fest with TV II

The Diary of a 9ja girl in Yankee

A very heartbreaking season finale -- Rizzoli and Isles