Sherlock Holmes: A Tad Bit Unrealistic


One the blessed day after the glorious 4th of July, I watched three episodes of BBC One's Sherlock Holmes. And, boy was I disappointed! Buzzfeed had been Benedict Cumberbatch loving, and my dear friend Koyn had over-mentioned it. Yet, I always kept passing it each time it showed up on my Neflix feed. I should have kept scrolling. You see, I barely opened my eyes through the first three episodes. And, no I was not sleepy. But, I got bored so much, I did skip a lot of scenes before I switched my TV and DVD off and went to sleep.

So, what was so terrible about Sherlock Holmes? First, some disclaimers. I do love English TV. Yesterday, I watched The Politician's Husband. First episode, it had promise. Because, hello, Emily Watson. But, my hopes were pretty much damped. It was just impossible to suspend my disbelief. I tried, oh boy, I tried. However, I found out that Americans are not the only one who mess up adaptations. I need to re-watch The Politician's Wife.

 So, I admit my disinterest in Sherlock Holmes may be a transference thing. But, it was darndest hard to suspend my disbelief and swallow up the fact that Sherlock Holmes is an ingenious detective.

The series fails at timing -- its dogged pace is just annoying. Also, it fails at _________. I have tried to put a name to it but I simply come up blank. The mental sparing scene between Sherlock Holmes and the serial killer. Jesus, a 5-year old would write better scene than that. The scene was supposed to be intense, mind-fuckery intense, yet I kept waiting for the meat of the scene. Which pretty much sums up the entire episodes I watched. The slow pace of the action! I give up.

Now, the American versions of Sherlock Holmes suck too. Is it a franchise curse? At this stage, I give up on understanding why I can't swallow what the series is selling. That's how much I can't get into it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Love-Fest with TV II

The Diary of a 9ja girl in Yankee

A very heartbreaking season finale -- Rizzoli and Isles