Happy Mother's (American) Day

Initially posted on Monday, May 9, 2011 at 12:22 a.m.   
You bet I was going to write something. Why wouldn't I? I did for Father's Day. Anyways, it's 11.56 p.m. and I have written a few words. By the time I am done, Mother's Day would be over where I am. Honestly, truth be told, I have no idea where I'm going or how this note would end up. All thoughts I had before opening a new note is all gone. My mind is all blank.

But I know I am gonna wade through this. I guess I better say this now, even if it's too late: Happy Mother's day iya to bi mi and you all too. Yes, my mind is beginning to clear a bit, and my focus getting into place. So today a couple of my followers/followees tweeted on how there were many Mother's Day in a year. Well, been there, done that come to mind. Not proudin, nay, not at all. Just stating that I too have been confused before. Why I had to say happy Mother's Day three times or more. As in, sometimes I wondered if my info was right.

Anyways, the reason why there are three completely different days to tell your mum you love her (well if you don't do regularly because of habit or you just simply forget to). First, there is the British Mother's day which comes like 2-3 months before the next. Not sure exactly when, it always within March and May anyways. Then there is the American one, the one celebrated yesterday (it's 12:04). Reason is that Americans do things the exact opposite of the British. If the British says poop is pronounced /pu:p/, an American says it's pronounced /pu:/ or /po:/. Basically even though America is fascinated with certain Brits' elements, they go the extra mile to be different from them. Not siding nor blaming any of the two, just pointing things out. Actually, I enjoy watching the American/British spar which should be made into an accredited sport, take for example the royal wedding/ Osama Bin Laden fiasco. If you still do not get my point, I sowi sowi oh.
So, I have established that there are two already: British and American. The third is Mothering Sunday which is funny since most Mother's Day, if not all, fall on Sunday. Anyways, the Mothering Sunday is the day when the church recognizes and appreciates the mothers in its congregation. Another reason why this' weird is that the practice originated from England. I think that recently the British Mother's Day and the Mothering Sunday have been merged to become one. But, I can still say that they were celebrated separately. Anyways, so Mothering Sunday is the day you wrap a gift and offer it to your mum in church (if your church doesn't observe that, well I comment my reserve).

Lastly, because of the fact that there are different Mother's Day worldwide -- Greeks have one too, Romans too, Arabs do too -- a new date was created, called International Women's Day. And it goes on and on. To learn more, just Google Mothers' Day or check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother's_Day, as I am presently tired and my bed is calling my name.

So next time you hear another Mother's Day cropping up this year, don't fret or get confused. It's probably another country's Mother's Day too. With that said, Happy Mother's Day in arrears once more and good morning.

Probably might write about my mother in the future times. But until then, I must stop typing and lay my head. Happy Monday working day ya'all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Love-Fest with TV II

The Diary of a 9ja girl in Yankee

A very heartbreaking season finale -- Rizzoli and Isles