One8 project and Africa

Saturday, November 20, 2010 at 2:58pm

So yesterday I told myself i was going to write a note even if it is just a paragraph. Five minutes ago, the idea for this notes popped in. I had re-pasted the One8 song and commented on it, and It was going to be a long comment, so I was like, you know why not write a note about it.So boom I am here. First and foremost, before you continue you might want to listen to the song itself.

The chorus goes like this
Africa to America
Everywhere
Come on spread some love
With our faith and a little hope
I believe we can heal the globe
It's time to open to open our eyes to see
That all we nid is u and meUnity is like harmony
So let me see u stretch ur hands across the world................

I know right. Got the song on repeat as I am writing this note. As you all know musik plays a very important part in my life; past, present and future. I am not afraid to shrink to my responsibilities; I know some right now and I try as the Lord would allow to do my little part. It might not seem much to me now, but I know this. It would make sense in 10years from now.

But I am not trying to talk about music now; I wrote a little note about it a while ago, if you havent read it, check it out here http://olatodera.blogspot.com/2011/08/ohs-and-ahs-of-christian-and.html. My tots about music are kinda long and not one I ca effectively put in such a medium as a note or a blog.Who knows maybe a book would pop up somedays; who knows right.

Anyways back to One8 and my reason for this blog. My comment to my own post goes like this:

Seriously, this is wat shuld happen. we nid unity in Africa.We are the only that can eradicate the ills associated with us. First of all we got to let the Media know they are killing us; We HAVE GAT TO TELL OUR STORIES OURSELVES, that the only way we can heal effectively.

So you all know where I am going this time. I am sick of all the B.S. associated with Africa. The media is killing us and they are not relenting on their cause. For example, Africa has been tagged as a poverty stricken continent(sometimes nation), but we would never be able to heal and be whole again if they continue in this trend they are going. They all lump African countries together in this poverty campaign which is the trigger itself. Let me say this, Africa has the resources (money, food and human) that it needs. Yes you are surprised right. But if the whole continent is lumped together as if it were a nation. The countries who have the resources to help other countries would continue to embezzle and fund foreign economies. It always amazes me when the foreign media talk abt Africa and forget to add the zillions of money in their economy that is helping their government. Oh how quick are they to say, "Oh Africans are poor" when just a few Nigerian sometimes are crucial in their economy's growth. I dont care what they say, Nigeria is not poor, has never been poor and would never ever be poor. To all Nigerians and other Africans, reason with me. Imagine that for fiifty years, our government has been embezzling our money and investing foreign nations by keeping their lots supposedly safe in foreign banks. Each government from national to local loot zillions of money yearly and fight about how much they share, and still millions of people still want to get to the seat of power so they can share out of the nations cake. I dont know if you can add two plus two together, but for me that is enough to tell me that we have an unlimited resource, as the money they loot never ever gets back to our economy. All thanks to foriegn banks who find a way to relieve the politicians of thier money and ensure it is safely kept forever in thier countries' economy: from mandating 10-12 different signature for a Swiss bank account to creating corruption lists. Are you kidding me, who can sign exactly the same way five time without making a little errors, maybe the swirls fly out of proportion......

Geez how did I get into politics; I totally have no idea, as I was not planning to. I was just going to take stabs at International Media and motivate someone to stand up and tell his/her story. So imagine if we are not all classified as poor nation/continent, then certain leaders in countries like Nigerian would decide to be philanthropic to countries that need help...We all know that one thing a politician has is his big ego; the idea that they would be termed messiah would be too tempting to ignore. They would invest in other countries other than foreign countries where they don't get recognized anyways. I honestly hope you are catching my drift and I am making sense.

So after the media pulls up, we need Africans to tell our own story; Chinua Achebe, Chimamanda Adiche, Wole Soyinka and a host of other cannot effectively tell the story. As for Nollywood; I pray that they would evolved really soon, but I can see some motivation to increase my prayers.

So darling, yep you, what's your story, what do you have to tell the world? See, it doesn't have to be in writing, it could be oral as in public speaking. If it is singing(pls I beg you, do not increase the rate of nonsensical singers as we have a whole lot of them). What is it; do you think you can change Nollywood (I do) bt unlike me, do something about it. Do you think you can change the way costume is being done in Nollywood; abeg go ahead..If it is screenwriting, WHAT!!! I pray for people like you everyday whenever I set my eyes upon a Nigerian film. If it is gearing a merger between the Ministry of Tourism and Culture with Nollywood; abeg biko comeon out. Do something with that idea you have. Spend time brooding the water in the surface of the deep but you have to speak after it. The next part is "let there be light and there was light"

We can do it all; we can change the way things are done, seen and considered normal. If you have an idea and want to talk about it; you know my ears are open, the only thing is that I might not be physically present, but all thanks to Skype, twitter, Facebook Oovoo and all we are safe..from drawing plans to creating target sponsor to actually creating a team; I have done that and would be willing to do so again. I must say I am getting bored and in deer need of a challenge yours might just be it.

So pls let me see you stretch your hand across the globe; we can do it. Just stretch your hands first and people including me would be willing to take it.

I am afraid I must drop my pen now. I do not think I would edit this post, this way you can see, feel and hear my emotions as I was writing this note. And if there are grammatical and punctuation errors, is it not you..you would wade through it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Love-Fest with TV II

The Diary of a 9ja girl in Yankee

A very heartbreaking season finale -- Rizzoli and Isles