Social Media Plagiarism


    Plagiarism, especially for a college student, is pretty scary. The repercussion of an FF is too humiliating to think of. It is forever in your record and no one would want to ever hear your side of the story. I got a close call once; I had refused to put quotation marks on my quotes even though I had accredited the quote itself.
Well, it made me drop a letter grade. I stewed for a while, because I had put a lot in the paper, but was grateful I didn't get an F or the disastrous FF. And so, I am now very careful of my writing. However, I do not carry this carefulness to my social media posts. Most especially on Twitter but not so much on Facebook. Well, twitter's 140 characters limit doesn't allow much for accreditation. Sometimes I find this really amazing quote and I tweet it. Problem is, that the quotes is probably too long that even normal twitlanguage editing just barely cuts it, leaving no room for sources.
I have had followers/followees complain about people blatantly stealing their bio page, re-tweeting their tweets without the usual RT and remove their handles, thereby making the quote theirs and broadcasting such as BBM later.

Perhaps this trend goes a long way, or cannot be eradicated because there is no watchdog (safeassign) or because most people realize that 140 character even though it is enough to say "I love you and care about you" isn't enough to implement originality and honesty. But remember, I am also guilty about of the charge. So what shall we say to this thing, honestly I have no idea. Perhaps praying that Twitter increases its character limit would go up a little, but truthfully would that help. Or has my generation gotten so used to copying and pasting that even social media (a fun place) accreditation would seem too much work. Would there ever be an F or FF for social media plagiarism? Would my prospective employer care enough? So really does social media plagiarism really matter or am I making a big fuss for nothing?

Really need answers.

Comments

  1. Ноwԁy! Τhіѕ article сould not bе ωrittеn any better!
    Looking through thіs aгtіclе reminԁѕ me of my pгeνious
    гoommаte! He сontinually kept preaching abοut this.
    I most certainlу will send thіs artіcle tο him.
    Fairlу certаin he'll have a good read. I appreciate you for sharing!

    Also visit my web page chatroulette

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Love-Fest with TV II

The Diary of a 9ja girl in Yankee

Grey's Anatomy's Finale, Calzona, The Cheating, The Fallout, My Interpretation