Nigerian Idiosyncracies

Thanks @Kunledee for the inspiration.

Okay, this post might be super short but I have to say this out. It is crazy that it is really easy to ascribe to someone the prefixes that you would kill someone if you were the recipient of such. Perhaps it's the Yoruba factor, or even religious affiliation that is the cause of the behavior. Just maybe.
I remember four or five years ago, I once laughed(shook my head) at the idea of calling students "pastors." I remember this very blessed discussion I had with Wumi Toni-Falade about my certain reservations with certain campus fellowships on the use of "pastor." Scroll to the present and that prefix ain't very far from my mouth. And if it is not "pastor," then it's doctor or sister, aunty, uncle or brother.

Now all these isn't wrong, except I would probably kill you if you manage to defer me with such title. I would definitely set you straight. Because the last time I checked, which is now, the name my parent gave me at my naming was Murewa bla bla Olubela. Honestly, I have enough names already, some I can not even remember, for you to dash me a new one. It also doesn't help that I have two nicknames. So you get the point, I dey alright, you can keep those titles in your pocket. Thank you.

I even frown at "sister" before my name by my younger ones, until I was brow beaten by my extended family. Now I cringe whenever they call me such and keep telling myself, "Murewa just a few more years and you would be back to Murewa."

So is it the Yoruba factor? The fact that you are supposed to defer to your elders and need to reflect it in your words. I was termed "rude and proud" for so many years because I couldn't wrap my head around this idea. Just because I call you sister, aunty etc. doesn't mean I have an iota of respect for you. So why then should I do lip-service? And just because I call you by your given name doesn't mean I disrespect you. In fact, truth be told, I respect most people that I call by their given names more than some society forced me to defer to.

So does this (now having such word readily on my tongue) make me a hypocrite or does it signify a change in growth. Honestly, I have no idea. Has you have probably deciphered by my above ranting, this is something I am struggling with.

Whatever it is, I can at least say this thing na African/9ja problem. At this point, I better drop my pen. So what do you think.Disclaimer: this is purely my own thoughts and rambling.

Comments

  1. :) Nice..well captured. 2 profound statements:
    1- "Just because I call you sister, aunty etc. doesn't mean I have an iota of respect for you."
    2- "And just because I call you by your given name doesn't mean I disrespect you"

    These 2 say it all. We seem to be indulging a title crazy culture, and as I have opined continuously, 'pastor', 'evangelist' or what not, is an 'office', not a title, nor a name prefix. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Love-Fest with TV II

The Diary of a 9ja girl in Yankee

Grey's Anatomy's Finale, Calzona, The Cheating, The Fallout, My Interpretation